Monday, July 03, 2006

Praise and Inspiration

Another great weekend gone by. I took some photos both Saturday and Sunday morning. I think the ones of Melissa are my favorites. I took them before church Sunday morning (since her face was clean and hair combed, for once). I still need to do a bit of photoshopping on them, but was pretty happy overall. (Have I mentioned that I love my new camera!!??)

The message Sunday morning really made me think. Our pastor spoke about praising God in all things. This sermon had so many great points for everyone..no matter what religion, belief or lack thereof. He spoke along the lines of how we should find the things that we have to be thankful for instead of dwelling on the things we don't have. It's all a matter of perspective. He also talked of how praise will "identify the committed and strengthen the confused". These statements can apply to so many areas of life...including being a designer. One thing that comes to mind is when I go to a msg. board as read all of the praise people receive and all the design team listings. Or when I see a magazine and notice all the popular names. Some times I get disappointed because I am not a "name" and I am not on the "lists". I get discouraged because I am not on numerous design teams. I have a few teams that I would love to be a part of; but, in all honesty, I don't want to be on a lot of design teams. I am content working as a freelance designer and doing the things that I want when I want. In reality...I just want the public recognition (well, that and lots of $..I'd choose fortune over fame any day). One of the statements made by the pastors was: "Praise is the best defense against depression and discouragement." That is oh so true, I can praise God and be thankful for all of the wonderful things I have been able to accomplish and achieve thus far...or I can dwell on what others have. When I do the latter of the two all I do is get discouraged. So, I have decided to have a new perspective, I am going to make a list (hmmm..maybe a layout??) of the things I have to be thankful for and focus on the things I have accomplished instead of those I haven't. I am going to set my goals and be filled with praise as they are met and rejoice with others as they do the same. I will focus on what I have and what I have accomplished, not be down because others are somewhere I'm not. I challenge you to do the same...make your list, give praise for the things you have instead of focusing on what you don't have.

Now for my first step! One of the things I have of late to be full of praise and excitement about is the new book that just came on Friday from DRG publishers! The book is Easy Papercrafting with Photos. I have three projects in the book and one of them is an all time favorite. I did an altered clipboard that included photos of two of my closet friends. I got to take it and show them yesterday and they were both so excited. *That* was one of the biggest moments for me...really something to give praise for! And to add to the excitement and the rejoicing with others...my friend Sherry Wright had a ton of projects in there as well!

Back to yesterday....the kids and I followed church with a trip to McDonalds and shopping. Then home for a nap. After the nap I got up and made my quick and easy blueberry cobbler (whihc I found at cooks.com). If you like blueberries you have to try this one, it is so simple!

EASY BLUEBERRY COBBLER

1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
Enough milk to make it gravy consistency
4 c. blueberries
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 stick butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 9 x 13 inch dish. Heat blueberries with sugar in saucepan until boiling. Mix flour, sugar and baking powder and add enough milk to make gravy consistency. Pour batter over melted butter. Pour blueberries over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes.

This was followed by a fish fry, games, sno cones and fireworks at church. I got some pretty cool fireworks photos there too.

Well, one more day and it is officially the 4th of July!! This is one of my favorite holidays so I am very excited for it to get here. Hope to have lots of fun news to share when it's over!

Ok...Keeping with my "blog tradition"....Lets end the afternoon with a little inspiration. Check out this color combo from Pottery Barn's teen collection! Try Prism colors in shades of Razzleberry, Nautical Blue and Island Mist with White. Also, here is a quote to help get you inspired:

Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest. -- Mark Twain

1 comment:

Sherry Wright said...

I adore that message and agree, very inspiring. On my thankful list is meeting you and having you in my life. And btw, love your projects in the Easy Papercrafting book. I think that one is one I'm most excited about so far. ((hugs))