Saturday, January 01, 2011

My 2011 Word of the Year

I always find optical illusions fascinating. For example this one.....

Is the girl spinning clockwise or counter clockwise? Supposedly it depends a lot on if you are a left brain or right brain person. Typically people will say counter-clockwise. That is due to the majority of people being left brained (right handed). Me? I am left handed/right brained and I see her going clockwise pretty much every time. But sometimes I lose my focus. Something distracts me or I stop paying attention for a second. When that happens she starts spinning the other way! Totally weird.

Sometimes life is like an optical illusion. You have to focus to see something (or not see what you were seeing before). Then you blink. Your focus changes and things start looking a lot different. Focus. It is an amazing thing. Focus. That is my word for 2011. I am usually not one to make resolutions. But there something about a single word that makes sense. It just makes you think. It's not a list of things that you feel obligated to do or feel like you have failed when you don't accomplish them. It is an all encompassing ever changing goal that grows and changes as you change and God directs your path. What word sums up everything I want to accomplish this year? I thought about it some time and just kept coming back to the word focus. I want to focus on a closer walk with Christ, focus on my family, focus on helping others, focus on using my gifts and talents for His glory, focus on being a better steward of what I have been given, focus on completing more projects...and the list goes on. I will easily remember this word. It is more than a list of things I want to do. It is a cue to simply stop each day and ask, Lord, where do you want my focus to be today? Tomorrow? Next week? So there you have it my friends, my goal for 2011....focus.

5 comments:

Ann said...

TFS your word. Mine is happiness.

Happy 2011!

Michelle (sf9erfan) said...

Hey girl! Love your word. I sooo need some more focus in my life. Funny, I see her going clockwise every time, but I am right handed? Weird! Happy New Year!

Tami said...

Tami- I just read this (and she started counter and switched over to clockwise for me). Interestingly enough- my word for the year is also focus (I blogged about that this morning) :)

Janet Baldwin said...

Interesting illusion. She actually goes both ways if you watch it long enough! One way for some time then the other!

BECKY said...

I hope you don't mine that i copied this post Wonderful words