Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gina K Designs Post Release Blog Hop-Home is and Celebrate the Season

Today we are taking a closer look at two of the newly released sets from Gina K Designs, Home is and Celebrate the Season.



Celebrate the Season, illustrated by Theresa Momber, is a perfect mix of images for all of your Fall projects.
Below is a peek at what I did with this set. I stamped the image onto Pure Luxury base weight card stock with gray ink and colored very lightly with my Touch Twin markers. Once finished I stamped the greeting over the image with black ink and added 3 clear gems.


I am the illustrator of the Home Is set and below is the card I created.

Stamps: Gina K Designs (Home is), Card stock: Gina K Designs (Pure luxury base weight white, black onyx,moonlight fog) Patterned papers: My Mind's Eye; Markers: Shinhan Touch Twin (R11, BG61, G55, YR33, CG9, CG3, CG .5, BG1, WG1, Black 120) ; inks: Clearsnap and Memento; Twine: The Twinery. 

For this particular card I wanted to go a bit more in depth and share with you how I added a sentiment to the center the image and gave it a faded overlay effect.
I began by stamping the house image from the Home is stamp set onto white Pure Luxury base weight card stock using a gray ink. For this particular project I used a regular dye ink not designed to work with alcohol markers (Ancient Page-Flannel Gray). I wasn't concerned with the type of ink on the gray section as a bit of bleeding helped to soften the look. If you are concerned with bleeding an alcohol marker compatible ink such as Memento ink in the London Fog color is recommended.



Next I cut a 3/4" wide strip of scrap card stock and used a temporary adhesive to adhere it over the center of the image. The length of the strip is not a huge factor. Basically, just use a piece at least as wide as the size you plan on cutting the image to.


I then stamped once again over the previous image with a black ink.  This time I used Memento ink in Tuxedo Black to avoid bleeding of the main image. You might be able to do this by eyeballing it or using the grid on your stamp block. If not a Stamp-a-ma-jig works well and is what I typically use for such projects where a precise placement is desired. It is ok if the image is not perfectly aligned as the gray outline will simply give a shadowed effect.



Next, I used the fine tip of my Touch Twin marker to draw a line along the top and bottom of the card stock strip.


Once finished I was able to remove the card stock strip leaving the final image that was ready to be colored.

I began by coloring the sections outside of the lines in the normal fashion using my Touch Twin markers. (while the colors used are the same, the two colored images below will look slightly different in the location of the center lines that in the final sample as I forgot to take the photos the first time and had to redo that part. oops!)




Next, I colored the section between the lines in shades of gray. I colored the would be blue section with a blue gray and the lights, which would normally be a warm yellow, with a warm gray. As I mentioned previously, there was slight bleeding due to the ink I used which also help lend to the effect.


Once finished I added my greeting between the lines and added the final details and assembled my card. 



If you decide to try this fun and easy technique be sure to stop back by and leave me a link to your creation, I'd love to see it!!!

Thanks for stopping by today. Be sure to visit all of the designers below for more ideas using these two stamp sets. Don't forget to leave a comment on each of the blogs because we will be randomly choosing two of today's comments and each of those stampers will get to choose a free stamp set valued up to $24.95! The more you comment, the more chances you have.

98 comments:

Theresa Momber said...

Wow! That CAS snowman card is fabulous! Love the way you did the sentiment on the Home Is card. Awesome new stamp set!!!

The Vannoy Family said...

Impressive - you taught me something NEW today... like this technique! Really like your stamp sets also - adding it to my "wish list"! Thank you for sharing!

Riette said...

That is so very clever. Can't wait to try that. I LOVE your Home stamp set.

cgoggin said...

Thanks for showing how to create the message over the house image , it is a great technique.

Melanie said...

i really like that snowman card, sharp!

I would have never realized that wasn't a strip of vellum over it if you hadn't shown the step by step, cool!

Betty said...

Love that Snowman card. What a great idea!

Penne said...

Wow, Tami! Looks like vellum to me! Awesome! Thanks for showing how you did this technique. Love it... tfs

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

Very nice. thanks for sharing!

Happy Crafter said...

The snowman card is my favorite. I agree with the rest I thought it was vellum. Thanks for the technique, I'm off to try it for myself.

Barbara Colbert said...

Great job...nifty new stamp sets!

naneruth said...

thanks for showing how you did the greeting on the home card. Lovely cards.

Stephani said...

Love the house stamp. Thanks for the instructions on how you made it.

--Marcy said...

Some great new ideas to try! Love the effects! Nice work!

Judy I said...

Great technique on the house card. Thanks for the great details. Both cards are lovely.

Naynay said...

That masking technique ROCKS! How cute!

Elvira said...

Love this technique. I will try this. Thanks

Joyce Evans Erb said...

thanks for the detailed instructions

Sandy said...

Loved the masking tutorial. Thanks. Loved the simplicity of the Christmas card.

Anonymous said...

I love the snowman card! It looks like you stamped on vellum. How very clever!

Shala

Helen F. said...

Love the 'shadowy' snowman card and your Home Is set is adorable, Tami!

Anita Braddock said...

very cute cards I love the stamps. you have done such a great job on everything/ thanks for sharing and for the chance to win,
abbraddock@msn.com

Bertha W said...

Thanks for sharing your new stamp set and the new technique. I loved both cards.

crotnem said...

What an awesome idea you did with the house!!! Love it.

Softail_Baby81 said...

OMG!!!!! Thank u sooo much for the tutorial!! U have an amazing gift in not only creating but teaching as well and I just wanna say thanx for all the HARD work u do!!! Whatta fantastic job!!!!

lisa808 said...

Congrats on your new set.

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Wonderful samples, Tami! Thanks for the tutorial!

richardbreaks said...

Love your cards!! Great technique!

Nana said...

Que original tu trabajo.

Susan said...

What a clever way to do the stamping and coloring on the house. Love it!

alex said...

Love the cards and the tutorial is wonderful

Ravengirl said...

Today's card with your Home is set is fabulous! It's like faux vellum!

Cheryl Winget said...

Love both these cards. Thanks for sharing that special technique for the sentiment on the home card. I can't wait to try it!

Lynne said...

Some great new stamps and a wonderful tutorial. Thank you.

mmwilken said...

Just love these stamps!! Such cute cards Tami! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Love your Home Is card -- not sure if its the turquoise or the layout -- oh I know its BOTH! :) I so want those pens!!! ;)

gingerbaby said...

I love these stamps Tami. Thanks for the inspirations.

Sue D said...

Great cards and thanks for the technique on the second.

jazy1m said...

Loved your cards. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I just love the snowman. It looked like you covered the snowman with vellum and then stamped on it. Great job.

Carole said...

Thanks for sharing another great technique, beautiful cards.

Pat said...

Beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing such a terrific technique can't wait to try it. I love both stamp sets and of course I want it all.

Queen Mary said...

OK Tami, I was really impressed with the CAS snowman, but the coloring technique on the house just blows me away! Congrats on another great stamp set!

Elaine said...

Love the new stamps!

Unknown said...

I so appreciate your tutorials, Tami! And I love learning the new techniques. I'm definitely going to try stamping a sentiment right over a pale image. It looks dynamite! Your work is always wonderful. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Ashley Brianne said...

Second card is so cute!! Love it!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the tutorial - I love both your cards!

Sharon said...

What neat cards! Thanks for showing the technique on the little house.

Miesje said...

WOW, what a great technique Tami! I love it. Can't wait to get my stamp set - shipped today - yahoo!

Carol said...

Beautiful! I love these new sets and all the inspiring projects made with them!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

sarita said...

Great stamp sets. So many uses for the cloud/tree top.

Kay S said...

Love the faded back snowman and the tutorial on how to do the greeting on top of the image was fantastic. TFS!

Sonya van Stee said...

As usual, amazing new stamps and fabulous illustrations of said stamp sets! Love the technique on your Home Is card! Thanks for sharing with us :)

Shari said...

love the snowman and the way you did the home stamp as well. Thanks

A Touch of SOL said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial of your ghosting...I really like that and am definitely going to try it...Love your first card and its elegant simplicity...
Marisol
atouchof_sol at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

I love both of your cards. The elegance of the snowman card and the beautiful colors of the home. Thanks for sharing your tutorial with us. I will be trying this one.

Joan
MN
gjgarlough@aol.com

Gayle said...

Love the CAS snowman card and your new set Home Is looks awesome. Great detailed technique.

Barb Ghig said...

Oh my gosh, I really LOVE your cards, and your stamps are "Darling"!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial...I will definitely be using your techniques with this set!

Thanks so much for a chance to win!!!

NJMullins said...

Cool techniques!

Donna Phelan said...

Such stunning cards! Love your snowman one and your new stamp set. You, Gina & PayPal make it so (too!) easy to spend money! :)

Sylvia said...

Both are beautiful! Love the placement of the sentiment in your Home is card. Looks like vellum. Must try this.

Marion said...

Tami,
Love your set and your cards. Thanks for sharing with us. I love the technique you used.

Laura said...

Ohmygosh - I totally thought you used vellum on your card! You are one clever mama! And I LOVE tge way you stamped the Christmas card - stunning! xoxo

slw1971 said...

The snowman card is fantastic. You have given me a great idea for my Christmas Cards. Thanks Susan

Sandy said...

Two great cards, thanks for the tutorial!

Jill said...

What cute stamp sets. I love them.

Sharon Harnist said...

Such a great new stamp set, Tami -- love it! I thought that was a strip of vellum over your house ... very clever idea!

Luv 2 Create said...

Such an adorable little house. Cute stamp set.
Marcie

Tina Gilliland said...

WOW!!! What a fabulous set of cards!!!!!! LOVE the technique you used on both!! Will definitely give that a try!

maryc1254 said...

I love how you did the faded overlay image with the sentiment on top. I never would have guessed how you did it. What a great look.

Leslie Turner said...

OMG - how neat is that?! Your card is awesome!

Crafty Math Chick said...

Thanks for the cool tutorial with your fabby new markers and set Tami - looks like you have another winner here. I really like your bright, colorful card, and I like how subtle the card you made with Theresa's snowman is here too. Such versatility!

Susan Sieracki said...

Your cards are amazing. The snowman card would make a great Christmas card. Very nice.

Monica said...

Tammy.. love your new set! It has so many possibilities! thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

I love the little house. And such neat quotes to go with it.

My Angel said...

Love the Snowman Card!! Beautiful Sets!! Thanks for sharing!

babdu said...

Great idea to 'gray' the area that will be layered with the sentiment

Maria said...

How great is this. I am new to card making and that has just added to my knowledge of how to keep the image in the background and add wording to it. Fantastic job.

Lagene said...

Love the little house, what a neat idea and THANKS for the tutorial!

Lorie said...

Wow, that is pretty smart Tami! I love your coloring and the entire card is just lovely!

Sharron A. said...

I love both cards. The snowman is simple yet stunning and I love the sentiment stamped over him.Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Nana Jo said...

Great stamps - great cards-great blog candy.
mmlmn at polarcomm dot com

Honortem said...

What wonderful artwork- and such useful sayings !!

Nancy said...

Wow, thanks for the tutorial. At first I thought you had stamped the saying on velum and put it over the house. I like how it turned out. Great job on both cards!

Betty Neville said...

Awesome CAS snowman card, and love how you did the sentiment on your "Home Is" card! Thank you for the tutorial!

CraftyMomFL said...

now that is amazingly cool! love love love this technique

SueB said...

Great technique and tutorial ... thanx for the inspiration and blog candy opp!
- sue dot blondin at gmail dot com

The T-Shirt & Tole Shop said...

love the snowman and your "home is" set is fab.

Elizabeth said...

Love these cards, such beautiful projects.

Golda said...

Those are both fantastic cards! Thanks for the details on how you did them.

Sharon said...

Beautiful cards! I love your home is set...will definately be adding to my cart :) Thanks for teaching us this great new technique can't wait to try this one!

mtscrapgal said...

How clever you are on the house sentiment . Great Technique. Thanks

Donna said...

Love the CAS snowman card!! And love the technique on your second card, and for also showing us how you did it.
Thanks
for sharing
Donna

Lee (LuvLee on SCS) said...

I love that CAS snowman....I know...but CAS is growing on me! LOL And your Home Is set is so darling! What a cute card and your tutorial is fabulous!

Catherine Kraft said...

Cute snowman card!! I have to tell you I love the Home Is set and all the lovely sentiments that are included in it. Very sweet set!
Blessings~

Donna said...

that's a cool tip with your home card! love the simplicity of your snowman card

SandyK said...

It was so exciting to see what was done with both of these stamp sets.Thanks for the inspirations.
Sandy

Carolina said...

Your Christmas card is gorgeous - love the CAS design.

You Home Is set is one of my favs...thanks so much for designing it and for the great tut on how you put this adorable card together!

Holly aka Toy said...

Absolutely freakin' brilliant! I am in awe.