Friday, May 24, 2013

Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial

Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry
I love Americana decor and Summer is always the perfect time to add to my collection. While I enjoy most arts and crafts, I have always said I don't like making altered art and have no use for it. Until now--thanks to all the inspiration I have found on Pinterest. This summer I have started collecting thrift store and garage sale items to upcycle into things to complement my growing collection and hope to share them here on my blog. 

A few weeks ago I found three of these wooden candle holders for $1 at a garage sale. We don't celebrate Halloween but I knew they would make a great decor item with a little altering. 
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


The great thing about the geometric shapes in this candle holder is that they are even more easy to decorate using my Sizzix dies. The side of the blocks were the perfect size for my Square Framlelits dies.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


And the top opening easily matched my Sizzix Circle Framelits.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


First I took a pair of scissors and distressed all of the edges by removing some of the paint.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


Next, I sponged the edges using jean colored Clearsnap Mix'd Media Inx
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


I cut five squares from a red plaid patterned paper using the Square Framelits dies. I used my Circle Framelits to cut a circle from the center of one of the squares to fit the top of the block.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


I used Mod Podge to adhere the pieces and then brushed a coat over the entire piece and let it dry overnight.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


I used my Star Framlits dies to cut a star from a piece of Want2Scrap denim. I attached it with Scor-Tape and added a bottom and hemp twine.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


Next, I used Tim Holtz Chip Block die from Sizzix to die-cut the letters USA.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


I wrapped the top with hemp twine and secured it on the back with hot glue and a red button.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


 Here is a look at the final results! 
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry


It's goes perfectly with my other USA decor. Here is a peek at it on the self with just a very small part of my collection.
Sizzix Upcycled Americana Candle Holder Tutorial by Tami Mayberry

 

Now, off to look through my growing collection for something else to make!
I'll be back with more very soon!



Find Me Here:






5 comments:

Charlene said...

Super cuteness!

Nekou Nekori said...

That's really great! Lately I have been attracted to DIY deco and scrapbooking, your ideas are really cool. And also candles in general are nice. ^^

nekoris.blogspot.com

Cath said...

These are very cool, Tami! :)

Biplab Das said...

Ohh very nice Candle Holder. Thank you very much for your great post.I'm so happy by visit this site that I’ve already bookmark this site and I will come back again .
wedding-event-centerpieces

Biplab Das said...

Ohh very nice Candle Holder. Thank you very much for your great post.I'm so happy by visit this site that I’ve already bookmark this site and I will come back again .
wedding-event-centerpieces